Contact Our Firm

Video Vault

Guardianship Services in Duplin County

When an adult is deemed incompetent, another individual will need to serve as his or her guardian. Guardianship refers to the legal relationship between the authorized guardian and the incompetent adult, the ward. An adult who is unable to manage his or her own affairs without assistance will need a guardian to complete various procedures. Anyone who has relations with the incompetent individual can file a request to be appointed guardian over such affairs. If you are preparing to become a guardian, speak with our Duplin County estate administration attorney regarding the guardianship proceeding.

How does a guardianship proceeding work?

If you have filed a petition to begin a guardianship proceeding, we encourage you to obtain a case evaluation with a lawyer from our firm for guidance through the case. Prior to the hearing, social work and medical evaluations will need to be provided to determine whether the individual is truly incompetent. The respondent is also entitled to obtain a lawyer of his or her own choosing to present evidence against the need for a guardian. Guardians are not required to financially support the ward, but only to use the ward's finances for the right purposes.

Once the adult is determined incompetent, a guardian can be appointed to manage his or her affairs. During the hearing, the clerk can appoint a guardian of the person, a guardian of the estate, or a general guardian. The guardian of the person possesses authority to make decisions regarding everyday decisions in a ward's personal life, including his or her medical care. The guardian of the estate will have the ability to manage the ward's assets, including income and property. General guardians possess powers of both the guardian of the person and the guardian of the estate. Contact us today for further information regarding guardianships.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Attorney Web Design
Hunter & Price, P.A. - Duplin County Attorney
Located at 211 South Main St. Kenansville, NC 28349. View Map
Phone: (888) 721-2338 | Local Phone: (910) 863-1370| Alt. Phone (910) 296-9838

© 2013 All Rights Reserved.
Quick Information Center


Our Office:

211 S Main St
Kenansville, NC 28349